Elm Place participated in a school-wide Day of Hip Hop as part of their 13th annual fine arts collaboration. Organized by music teacher, Caitlin Lucci, and funded by a Foundation Grant, this year the entire school dedicated a day to exploring the genre through live performances, hands-on workshops, breakout sessions and demonstrations from some of Chicago’s finest hip hop artists.
Students worked with the following guest artists:
- choreographer Tanji Harper and Blu Rhythm Collective
- street art mural demo from Galerie F owner Billy Craven and Mosher
- Beat boxer GQ
- Emcees BrittanE and Vet
- songwriter/beat producer Aquil Charlton
- poet Jasmine Barber
- breakdance crew Culture Shock Chicago
- musicians Ric Wilson and Kaina Castillo
- Hip hop stylist/cross-sticher Emma McKee (StitchGawd)
The day opened with an all-school performance from Blu Rhythm Collective and closed with live performances from the EP band, orchestra, chorus, and Ric Wilson/Kaina Castillo. Students recorded their learning and reflections from the day on recycled vinyl records now on display in the hallway.